Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:15 pm 

Just finished watching, I didn't know going in that I needed to brush up on my Japanese, the commentary in the beginning was interesting :lol: .

Not my favorite Beatles period, I prefer the 67-70 era, but I enjoyed this DVD very much, I thought they had good energy.

Watching this DVD reminded me of why they quit touring in the first place, the second George waved his hand to the crowd, the girls went nuts, the music was secondary IMO.

I compared this to the "Hercules" version that I have and as usual this Presence version is superior, an excellent transfer, the video sharper and colors more vibrant.

The audio sounded about as good as can be expected considering it wasn't great to begin with. It might have been a little better if Paul's microphone wasn't constantly moving all over the place...didn't they have road crews back then? Barring an official, remastered release, I don't see how the quality on this DVD can get any better.

Nice job Pres, hoping for the 1st! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:00 am 
Watched this last night...

I don't really have anything thing else from the Beatles to compare this with in terms of sound and picture quality, so I'll defer to others who have more expertise in those matters. To my somewhat inexperienced eyes and ears, this was certainly very watchable -- very good picture, good color and pretty good sound.

About the sound... I couldn't help thinking that there didn't look to be much sound reinforcement in the hall. I suspect the audience wasn't hearing anything very special. If they could hear anything at all. The sound on the recording is probably a lot better than what the audience heard on the night.

In fact, I can't help wondering what the audience really took away from the evening. Think about it: I'm sure there was an incredible build up for the concert. Getting tickets couldn't have been cheap or easy, I'm guessing it was plugged almost incessantly on the radio and tv, and I'll suppose it was generally much discussed among friends. And then, what? Eleven songs? Weak sound in a large hall? Screaming loud enough to drown out the music? While having seen the Beatles live had to be cool, I'm sure that it was also, on some levels, very disappointing. I'm mean, all that build up for 40 minutes of music. Great music, certainly. And well performed. But in an almost homeopathic dose.

And the microphone stands. For pete's sake! Here you have what is arguably the most popular music group ever, and the promoters or road crew, or whoever, couldn't get a couple of decent microphone stands? Does anyone know, Did the Beatles not tour with much of their own equipment? Was it all backline? Rented? Or what? As I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of the Beatles with their equipment or seeing pictures of equipment that belonged to the Beatles.

Speaking of equipment, did anyone else think that Ringo's drums (especially that mounted tom) seemed a larger than usual? I mean, that sucker's almost "Bonhamesque."

And oh, how times have changed since 1966 when interviewers could ask, How often do you wash your hair? And get a good-natured, civil answer. Of all the questions I would have liked to ask all four of the Beatles! Talk about an interviewer wasting a golden opportunity!

All in all, a fascinating and enjoyable concert. And one I'll watch more than once.

Thank you Presence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm 

IOU 1 review. Is a bit difficult at the mo as I've some kind of bug and feel constantly dizzy. Also is the weekend and kids don't allow me do much. Will do a comparison and write when I feel like I'm on dry land :?

So far am pretty amazed by the picture quality :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 pm 
Yeah, it happened to me. I changed the mpeg back to VOB and it's ok. Thanks JP!

You see those huge amps they had? Mal Evans, their roadie carried them himself! I always loved that stupid Godzilla sound effect when they came out of the plane (landed at 3:30 AM!).

Definitely looks a bit better than my original copy on video from 1986! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:53 pm 
well ive seen this a couple times now, and the dvd version is really cool. the picture/quality is as good as its going to get. my only quip is the lack of a sweet soundtrack, but what can you ask for from a '66 mono recording?

the band seems to be having a good time playing these tunes with each other. highlights for me include day tripper(pauls really into it) and yesterday. really makes me wanna play a nice hollowbody.

the audience is loving it, considering how well you can hear them from the stage mics :lol: those mics are wobbling non stop too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:59 pm 
Just finished watching it, and it's great! The picture is really clear, not all bleedy like the Seattle 77 video for example, and nice sound, I had it cranked up and it sounded good.

My boss and co-workers all want a copy, too. They're all Beatles freaks and when I told them what I had, they couldn't believe it.

Brownie points for me! Thanks Pres, nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm 
Just watched it today. Pretty bloody brilliant bit of footage. I don't know what to say really, I was going to just copy and paste mustardpie's review. ;)

Great image quality, especially for the age (like the black and white sharpness compared to colour point made earlier^). Sound is very good, maybe a bit muffled in some frequencies (? nit pick), but mostly nice, clear and loud. I'm thankful for the somewhat restrained Japanese audience, so the band could be heard over the screaming. Ringo has gone up a step in my book. It was funny seeing Paul having to constantly battle with the positioning of his ever moving microphone. Ol' George encouraging the crowd. 'I WANNA BE YOURMAN' in the end credits. :)

Maybe asking for English subtitles during the Jap speaking parts is a bit much (well, maybe someone here from Japan could give something back?). ;) Even if it's not on first play, it would be nice to have a song selection menu (I know how Pres likes the play to go straight into the action). :D The cosmic energy at the end caught me by surprise.

The first Beatles 'boot' I got for myself. And it's a good'n. I started watching it with my folks, but mother didn't make it past the b&w jap section. She said "Well this is crap." :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:08 pm 
Finally got to download and watch this.
I love Let It Be and post Sgt. Beatles by far, but I gotta say this is very interesting to watch especially since this is the end of the live era. I've always been a huge Harrison fan and he seems to be in top form. Ringo seems to be in need of some Prozac but still plays well even thought he's not the best drummer ever. Paul and John --- well not much to say , they're genius.
Quality is top notch. Can't compare it to another version because this is the first I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:20 am 
what do you guys think of the documentary at the beginning? how long is it? I have the "Jima" version of this and like Bert I don't have much love for it, I'm wondering if I should bother getting this one to check out the extra footage. I have no problems with writing a review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:41 am 
Well, the second chapter on this disc is 11mins 35 seconds in, the doc/interview part is about that long. Although the Japanese parts to me are incomprehensible, it's great to have, nice to see. All part of the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 am 
Quote:
NOTE for those using Internet Explorer to download...IE may try to change the file extention. When downloading be sure that the file name and extention are named exactly as they should be. When I downloaded IE attempted to change the VOB file extention to mpeg. I changed/renamed the mpeg extention back to VOB before downloading and all was good.

I didn't notice that! (glad I'm still following this topic). Went back and re-downloaded the files so they have the right extension.

Thanks for the heads-up, bbanderic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:57 pm 

Five wrote:
what do you guys think of the documentary at the beginning? how long is it? I have the "Jima" version of this and like Bert I don't have much love for it, I'm wondering if I should bother getting this one to check out the extra footage. I have no problems with writing a review!

I'm doing some Beatle research. Did anyone notice the puddles at the airport? Apparently, Japan had been hit by a big typhoon two days before and this delayed their arrival by ten hours - fifteen hours.

Here's a quote from the Press Conference in Tokyo, Japan (1966, June 30):

Quote:
Q: "We had the biggest rainfall in Tokyo in the past ten years. Your coming to Japan has been referred to by the Japanese press as the arrival of the Beatles Typhoon. Can you think of anything in connection between the two?

John: "There's probably more wind from the press than from us."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:07 am 
First and foremost - Excellent video quality!

The Japanese (as usual) go a little overboard on the details. No need for 5 minutes of film of the car ride or film of the empty hotel room, but I guess it is cool to see these details that I never seen before in prior films.

Too bad my wife is in Japan this week - her translation would be super helpful.

Did the MC really ask "How many times you wash you hair a week?" :roll:

This must also set the record for highest drum rise :lol:

I also think it is beyond cool watching the band walk on stage and turn on the amps and stuff! Also amazed at the size (or lack of it) of the amps. Plus that mic standing Paul was using really sucked!

Performance wise - It certainly was a pleasure to actual and hear the Beatles perform at the peak (IMO) of their career. Plus, they seem to enjoy playing for the Japanese audience who knew when to scream.

Seeing Day Tripper, I Feel Fine and Paperwork Writer performed live is worth seeing this video.

Now who was the genius who decided to keep the cameras on Ringo during I Wanne Be Your Man 95% of the song? I would like to have seen what the others guys were doing.

To band this show was extremely short - but you can tell the band was enjoying themselves that night.

Unfortunate that if I remember correctly the band went to the Philippines which was the reason why the band decided never to tour again.

Finally - the Presence Production thing at the end is top notch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 am 
just because im not too familiar with the Beatles live...
pmonk66 wrote:
1) This must also set the record for highest drum rise :lol:

2) I also think it is beyond cool watching the band walk on stage and turn on the amps and stuff! Also amazed at the size (or lack of it) of the amps.

3) the Presence Production thing at the end is top notch!

1) i thought the same thing :lol: was this normal for the Beatles to put Ringo up that high? think he has a staircase to get up there? :lol:

2) ditto :D ,again, was this protocol for them? yeah small speakers..

3) :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:30 am 

Preface: I have only admired The Beatles through the lenses of their official releases. I'd heard outtakes and even participated in a Beatles vine but in my opinion, the unofficial recordings will never match up to the studio releases. When JP provided public access to the drafts of The Beatles at The Budokan [June 30, 1966] DVD, I downloaded the file more out of curiosity. I'd never seen The Beatles perform a complete song, let alone an entire concert. The footage was free, with fast delivery and it was also a Presence Production [a definite plus]. I watched the film and childhood memories came rushing back. I'm sure most baby boomers remember seeing news footage of The Beatles from the mid-to-late '60s that included fans screaming, band members waving & on the run and snippets of the music being performed live.

Review: The Beatles at The Budokan [June 30, 1966] DVD begins with news footage detailing their arrival in Japan. It was while watching the news footage that I decided to focus on the security covering this event. My main questions were [1] why was security administered at such extreme measures and [2] how did this level of security impact The Beatles? I performed some research using fan based web sites and here's what I discovered.

On June 23, 1966, The Beatles began a two-week tour of Germany and Japan. During this tour, The Beatles performed their complex arrangements before “scarcely controllable screaming fans.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 am 

I know that wasn't a review per se. It was an ethnographic piece focused on the fearful side of being rock musicians. I will not watch that footage again with the same innocent thoughts .. I now have a different respect for these four gentlemen.

Here's what I wrote to JP about my intentions..
Quote:
I feel like this is a class assignment. Which is a good approach for me.

Anyways, I'm going to focus on concert mishaps during this two week tour of Germany and Japan that led up to the band stopping all touring.

It's interesting for me to try & imagine the thoughts running through their minds as they perform on stage June 30th.

I think .. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:31 am 
patrick1963 wrote:
I know that wasn't a review per se. It was an ethnographic piece focused on the fearful side of being rock musicians.

Call it what you like. I'm calling it was a damn good read. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am 
..somewhat tardy on me review :oops:

for me, this is a pretty good upgrade vs: the other 2 versions of this that i have. one is a 'video corrected' version which features an a:b comparison at the start of the dvd. the other contains both tokyo shows & various US news conferences. george's FG rickenbacker 360/12 never looked/sounded better!

thanks pres!

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:53 pm 

Well, finally I’m not sick, my kids are not sick (packed off to daycare) and I have a mo’ to properly review the material.

Well, the way I see it this is now the definitive release of this show, for the following reasons:
1. Additional footage – although in un-subtitled Japanese the footage is strangely compelling, watching the Beatles go through the grind of plane – motorcade – hotel – press conference and remain so upbeat is amazing. John in particular seems to be fizzing with energy. Given the circumstances, which were outlined in detail by Patrick in a prior post, the lads are surprisingly ‘chipper’. The security precautions, even with the threats from nationalist groups, seem totally over the top.

2. Video quality – the so called ‘correction’ on the Jima version is overcooked big time. The flesh tones, especially, are hideous. Video correction is a tricky business and a subtle touch is required, Presence gets it right here.

3. Sound – as Presence mentions in another thread, this is a 40yo mono recording so how much better can you make it? I listened to “Day Tripper” on both versions several times through headphones on my computer with a decent soundcard (Creative Audigy Z2) and the Presence Production sounds slightly warmer and fuller, not much, if anything, in it though. Perhaps a high end home theatre would reveal the differences more obviously?

Once Beatlemania took hold the bands ability to showcase their talent became almost impossible. The ’66 tours went from bad to worse, with John’s “Jesus” comments taken out of context. Whatever pleasure the band had in performing was gone. The Beatles’ studio output had already begun to show more maturity and complexity with “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver” but the withdrawal from touring allowed them to focus like never before on studio work and we all know what came next! I, for one, believe they made the right call.

There is little to add as most points have already been made earlier in the thread.

Thanks Jason, this one’s a keeper :thumbsup:

Last edited by de_bhal on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 pm 

What more could I add? Nice reviews indeed.

Technical side: I like this release very much because the colour is natural. I have this concert in different editions (BEAT DVD 2, Rarities 1964.66 compilation) but this one has a nice colour tone. The sound is also good, especially that the original was recorded 41 years ago. The afternoon concert was also recorded, it is also known as 'whites suit concert'. Unfortunately I could not find a decent copy from that one, because the black one is circulating widely. Some clips from the afternoon show can be seen in the official Anthology DVDs in exc.quality.

The heavy security was due to death threats the Beatles received. In Japan the Budokan Hall was intended for martial arts, not for rock concerts. The place was sacred, so people started protesting against the Beatles. It is shown in the Japanese documentary. I do not known why the choose Mr. Moonlight as a soundtrack, it is one of the worst tarcks they ever recorded-in my humble opinion.

The Beatles painted a picture when staying at the hotel, it was left in Japan for fans. The interpreter was presented by John Lennon's pair of glasses-it will be auctioned sometime in August.

A colour film of the press conference also exists. I have some snippets taped from a videoscreen at a fan convention.

I would also recommend Hamburg 1966. It was recorded in Black and white by the German TV station ARD. Available on the bootleg set BEAT. (volume 3).

Thanks to Presence, excellent job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:49 am 
So Jason, how is the quality of the white suits show compared to this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:55 am 
yes im equally concerned... or at least equally intrigued 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:47 am 
This was a great quality video.

I enjoyed the performances of the classic songs. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I was genuinely interested in seeing a performance. I found myself enjoying some of the more obscure songs, like Baby's in Black and I'm Down, that I had never heard of before. It was nice to be exposed to them through this format.

It was a consistent performance with some minor bumps along the way.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 pm 
pannini wrote:
This was a great quality video.

I enjoyed the performances of the classic songs. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I was genuinely interested in seeing a performance. I found myself enjoying some of the more obscure songs, like Baby's in Black and I'm Down, that I had never heard of before. It was nice to be exposed to them through this format.

It was a consistent performance with some minor bumps along the way.

Thanks again.
You actually liked it? Cool! I always thought it was a subpar show, especially compared to earlier shows when they were really into it. Interesting to note that Baby's In Black was never dropped from the setlist once they started doing it in late 1964. One of their deep tracks that they enjoyed doing. I'm Down was the B-side of Help and was not on an album then.

Rock and Roll Music (short version) - Beatles For Sale (1964)
She's A Woman - B-side to I Feel Fine (1964)
If I Needed Someone - Rubber Soul (1965)
Day Tripper - Double A-side with We Can Work It Out (1965)
Baby's in Black - Beatles For Sale (1964)
I Feel Fine - A-side (1964)
Yesterday - Help! (1965)
I Wanna Be Your Man - With The Beatles (1963)
Nowhere Man - Rubber Soul (1965)
Paperback Writer - A-side (1966)
I'm Down - B-side of Help! (1965)

Ringo's song choice was kind of strange, going way back (in Beatles years) to 1963. Too bad they didn't try more new things like Taxman, but George probably would've had trouble duplicating McCartney's guitar solo. Such a crime that all concerts back then were this short. It was the norm until 1967. Then things started changing. Having new, bigger P.A. systems helped too. 1966 was the end of an era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 pm 
I enjoyed this as well. It's true, this was pretty much the end of the road for that kinda stuff. It's fun to see this in color though, with the nice Epiphone Casino guitars. I like to imagine how much better it would've been if they had the Dead Wall Of Sound for those shows. Talk about a mind blower....

The performance is good but they are basically just doing it on autopilot. Sounds fine to me though!

Hey, it's Beatles. Can't be bad, right?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next