Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm 

Guns 'N Roses
The Ritz, New York, New York
February 2, 1988

MTV Promo Clip: MTV broadcast > VHS. Tape and DV-AVI file provided by Mark Kertzner, mastered for DVD by Jason Peterson.

The Concert: Italian "Rock TV" broadcast > digital capture > PAL DVD. Conversion to NTSC and video rendering by Jason Peterson @ Cohesion Sound.

NTSC, PCM, 58 minutes.

MTV "Guns N Roses Saturday" Promo Clip
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Out Ta Get Me
Sweet Child O' Mine
My Michelle
Knockin On Heaven's Door
Welcome To The Jungle
Nighttrain
Paradise City
Rocket Queen

A YouTube clip made from my production:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm 

ESSENTIAL. Trust me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:06 am 

Unfortunately this version I got from RockTV is the censored version... I had a friend who was trying to put the audio from a CD, but he said the video is full of cuts and he's having an hard time synching it... it's been a while since he started so I guess he shelved the project...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 am 
I'm definitely going to get this when I get home tonight. Thank you Prez!

For those of you who like GnR but never got to see them, this was in '88 during their prime - when they were still a little hungry. I was lucky enough to see them in '88 (not this concert) and they destroyed the place. This is the GnR we knew and loved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:20 pm 

I watched this one twice today. What a brutal set! And Axl disappearing during "Rocket Queen" = priceless. :rockout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:02 am 
thanks prez for the seedage.

lovely to see the boys in their prime. the bleeping sucks, but who cares? absolutely crushing.

jl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:58 am 

Today I am playing this DVD at maximum volume. 8) If you need it, I just hopped on the torrent again. I also have a YouTube link now:

It was really disappointing to see the state Steven Adler is in on that VH1 show. I thought for sure he had gotten his shit together. When you have a drug-induced stroke and later continue to do drugs, it only demonstrates the power of addiction. No wonder the other guys have passed over him on reunion opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 pm 
outstanding!!! thanks again.

I have the uncut version authored by gnrfrance. I give that version a 6 with yours being a 10.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Presence, just as a matter of interest - do you think we'll ever see a HD release of this. It has to be oine of the best gigs ever!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 am 

I am sure it will inevitably be broadcast on a high-definition channel thus we might see a better-looking version someday, but the concert was recorded on standard betacam videotapes, the resolution of which are not up to HD's specs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 pm 

Thank you for the seed!

Edit: Watched a bit of it, superb. This is a young band at their prime, intense, tight and energetic. The sound is beautiful, and the quality is simply outstanding. A bit odd not to see any "Presence Productions" promo at the end of the gig, but besides that, this is just about perfect. The short promo at the beginning works great! =D>

It's hard to think this was converted from PAL to NTSC, seriously, how did you pull that off with such results? A lot of people would really like to know. :)

My friend will really love this. Thanks a lot. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

Thanks very kindly for this one! I was on the fence about getting it since uncut/uncensored versions circulate, but not nearly in the same quality as presented here. Only a few songs "suffer" from the censoring, but it's never too bad. As for the performance, well, what can be said that already hasn't? I think there are probably tighter performances from this era (the pro-shot video from Melbourne from December '88), but it ain't too shabby here at all, and combined with the excitement of them just getting to be known and blowing people away, makes this essential viewing/listening.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:03 pm 
Presence wrote:
ESSENTIAL. Trust me.

Could some throw me a bone here and re-seed this? [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:45 pm 

Seeding, only sporadically though, since I actually have school to worry about now.

But I will try to seed at least some hours daily. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:40 pm 

Hello there, is the original PAL capture still available/back upped?
the PAL -> NTSC converting suffers in quality.....in general and also easily to be seen on this version. i'd always leave it in the format being broadcasted.

just asking :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:52 pm 

Yes, I do still have the PAL version. But then I would have to convert the MTV Promo Clip from NTSC to PAL.. so, either way, something is getting converted. :lol:

I do see your point, but I do not use an automated conversion program; I do it personally "by hand," so to speak. When I began work on this production years ago, we had a discussion thread on exactly your concern. Samples from both versions were posted, and no one who did not know exactly what to look for (and some who did) could tell the difference. Thus, I opted to make it an NTSC release. A few people did later ask if I could post a PAL version - I declined and said I did not want two versions floating around. I could give the matter another look if enough people requested me to, but yours is the first I have received in several years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm 

As an aside, I should mention that a while back I picked up the Westwood One radio broadcast of this show (pre-FM source, of course) to compare the sound quality. I was disappointed to find the Westwood show is a "false stereo." The band's mix is exactly the same as it is here... all the trickery occurs with crowd noise -- not only is the crowd noise in stereo, most of it is fake! I am guessing it was added in to give the show a more live and exciting vibe. Watching the video gives it away. For example: Axl introduces "My Michelle" -- in the video the audience gives polite applause, while in the Westwood broadcast the "crowd" goes apeshit fucking bonkers. :lol: Ah well. So the only "improvement" the Westwood audio provides is the non-censoring of the occasional word.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 am 

hey, thanks for the fast and honest reply. i've had your version for some time but never could find out the "source" until i got a pm last night. i'll give some more Ritz88 info and authoring thoughts little later, gonna run in a moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 am 

yes, you're right, the Audio work on ANY GN'R Ritz'88 was poor:
the band mix is in mono and we have only a stereo crowd source which often is faked.

for the "Pre-FM" i gues you mean this version (from DIME)?

Source:
Westwood One (pre-recorded) FM broadcast -> master FM broadcast tape

Lineage:
107 FM WAAF radio > Sansui 8 reciever > Naka. BX 100 cassette deck (dolby off) >
TDK SA 90 min. cassette > played on Nak. 125 into soundforge 4.5 (WAV) > FLAC
(recorded, digitized and posted by glasnostrd19 in 2008)

its some cool BUT still doesnt sound mint and also is incomplete, there are some other unedited sources but all have cuts here and there, its disgusting!
may i ask this:

- when was the re-broadcast?
- how exactly did you transfer from tv to harddisc?

anyway i'd be VERY interested in the original not re-encoded PAL source from the Ritz-show, dont care the "Promo-Clip" much. i could provide some cool bonus aswell :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 am 

This is great, just GREAT!!!!! Thanks Pres. Takes me back to when I saw them at Hammersmith late 87.

I think I still have this somewhere on an old VHS, from a non-MTV broadcast. I don't remember it being beeped, but it probably was. I think it was a BBC broadcast, who even back then were surprisingly less conservative than MTV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm 

Limulus wrote:
for the "Pre-FM" i gues you mean this version (from DIME)?

Source:
Westwood One (pre-recorded) FM broadcast -> master FM broadcast tape

Lineage:
107 FM WAAF radio > Sansui 8 reciever > Naka. BX 100 cassette deck (dolby off) >
TDK SA 90 min. cassette > played on Nak. 125 into soundforge 4.5 (WAV) > FLAC
(recorded, digitized and posted by glasnostrd19 in 2008)

No, not that version. I also fail to see how something that was recorded from an FM broadcast is "pre-FM." :| My source is the Westwood reels themselves. I imagine it would sound about the same, but without the broadcast compression.

Limulus wrote:
may i ask this:

- when was the re-broadcast?
- how exactly did you transfer from tv to harddisc?

- I do not remember the exact date and would need to break out the files sent to me to at least get the year, but this was around five years ago.
- The broadcast was recorded to a DVR, and those files were copied directly over to a disc for me to use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 am 

thanks a lot!

i'd be very interested in those original files and also the "true" Pre-FM!
what to do for that??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 pm 

Limulus wrote:
i'd be very interested in those original files and also the "true" Pre-FM!

As we both acknowledged, the Westwood show is not worth it -- the band is still mixed in mono, as it is here, but with fake audience noise added in stereo. There is no point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 am 

ok about the audio, but i still would like to get the original PAL video re-broadcast files, what to do for that?
please let me know!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 pm 

Anyone up for seeding this? My HD that I had this on took a dump Tuesday and, as luck would have it, the DVD I burned won't play. Thanks in advance.

Edit:Whoever just jumped on with the killer bandwidth...much thanks! \:D/