Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: The A.R.M.S. Concert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:27 pm 

The A.R.M.S. Concert, Royal Albert Hall
September 20, 1983, London, England

A PRESENCE PRODUCTION

Mastered from 1" VTR tape. Encoded for double/dual layered DVD.

NTSC, PCM, 113 minutes.

1. Opening
2. Introductions

ERIC CLAPTON
3. Everybody Oughta Make A Change
4. Rita Mae
5. Lay Down Sally
6. Rambling On My Mind - Have You Ever Loved A Woman
7. Cocaine

ANDY FAIRWEATHER LOW
8. Man Smart, Women Smarter

STEVE WINWOOD
9. Road Runner
10. Slowdown Sundown
11. Take Me To The River
12. Gimme Some Lovin'

JEFF BECK
13. Star Cycle
14. Pump (The Pump)
15. Led Boots
16. Hi Ho Silver Lining

JIMMY PAGE
17. Prelude
18. Who's To Blame
19. City Sirens
20. Stairway to Heaven
21. Interviews

ALL-STAR ENCORE
22. Tulsa Time
23. Layla

RONNIE LANE
24. Goodnight Irene

Also featuring: Ray Cooper (drums and percussion), James Hooker (keyboards), Tony Hymas (keyboards), Kenney Jones (drums), Simon Phillips (drums), Fernando Saunders (bass), Chris Stainton (keyboards), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass)

In 1976 Ronnie Lane was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. In 1983 Lane's girlfriend help initiate a series of concerts to raise money for the Action for Research Into Multiple Sclerosis (ARMS). Though ARMS no longer exists, if you enjoy this DVD please consider a donation to any charitable MS organization.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: The A.R.M.S. Concert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
can't wait! thanks again man...love your work. your time effort and care is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:42 pm 
Thank you J. I am grateful for your Presence as a continuous sharing machine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm 

Thanks a million for putting this together, I very much appreciate it. Looks like an upgrade to me compared to the Brazilian release, it'll be nice to have it all on one disc as well :D .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 pm 

Great screenshots. Thanks for all your hard work. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 am 

I just added another screen capture to point out: Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman must be the most f'ing COOLEST rhythm section ever. Always looking bad-ass, just chillin'. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 pm 
Thanks for this one. Hopping on myself. Page playing STH always tends to make me a bit :cry: during these ARMS concerts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:21 am 
Now we know why Clapton sports a beard. Thanks again for this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 am 
Thanks.

How good is Jimmy's solo in Tulsa Time? Classic Page right there. I think he sounds really good during this show, and has a lot of energy.

How many ARMS concerts dvd are there? other then this one and the December 9, 1983 one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:52 pm 

Just watched it start to finish. Literally dancing around to Clapton, Low and Winwood in my pj's. Couldn't sit still.
Beck's choice of songs didn't do a lot for me but Jimmy doing Prelude and STH broke my heart. Loved it.

I also like Jimmy and Winwood together :D

Ray Cooper - excited much? poor gong :lol:

I'm no expert on video production but this show looked and sounded great on my Sony Bravia.
Thanks so much Pres for the amazing show.

Now I'm jonesing for live concert...No Quarter next week!

Betty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 pm 
Obi-Wan wrote:
Thanks.

How good is Jimmy's solo in Tulsa Time? Classic Page right there. I think he sounds really good during this show, and has a lot of energy.

that was awesome. he had a bunch of great runs in that tune.

all in all, i really like the whole idea of the ARMS shows. it was a great effort those guys put together for ronnie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:16 pm 
Awesome- took a peak at it, looks great! Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next couple of days to watch it all the way through.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:01 pm 
Thanks for your generosity in sharing this. A great job on this production! =D>

I thought Steve Winwood did a great job singing Jimmy's 'Who's to Blame' and 'City Sirens' (even though he's looking down at the words every other verse!). One wonders what could have been accomplished if these two had ever teamed up afterwards.

I could have done without the cheesy keyboard in 'Stairway'. :roll: But the solo -- so inspired! Jimmy just cuts lose. What a great tone, too.

I Clapton was awesome, too. Always good to hear him playing the blues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:35 pm 

bbanderic wrote:
Thanks a million for putting this together, I very much appreciate it. Looks like an upgrade to me compared to the Brazilian release, it'll be nice to have it all on one disc as well :D .

Finally had a chance to burn to DL DVD and watch all the way through on my HDTV, rather than just a snippet on the PC as I had previously. Clearly, this is a very nice upgrade compared to the Brazilian version which is way too dark, the Presence version is lighter, colorfull and natural looking in comparison. Presence version wins hands down...nice job =D>.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:31 pm 

I've never seen the Brazilian version people are speaking of. The last version I have of this is my VHS tape from 1985. :shock:

Obviously, this version is vastly superior and a pleasure to get reacquainted with. It's incredible how in the 80s (and even into the early 90s) 1" tape was the archival standard. The tape has held up well, but that analogue softness enhances its nostalgic feel. The audio is great on this production.

It's great that you still have access to a 1" VTR with clean heads. :lol:

=D>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:19 am 

I am just pleased as all hell to be actually getting some feedback and reviews. =D> :rockout

TopJimmy wrote:
I thought Steve Winwood did a great job singing Jimmy's 'Who's to Blame' and 'City Sirens'

I absolutely agree. I far prefer Winwood singing these tracks than the vocalist on the Death Wish II soundtrack. They are the highlight of his set for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:54 pm 

Thank you very much......This is awesome....... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:34 am 
Watched the Page stuff only. A vast improvement on what i had before.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:44 am 
Fantastic share, this!

Obi-Wan wrote:
Thanks.

How many ARMS concerts dvd are there? other then this one and the December 9, 1983 one?

Dec. 2, 1983, Cow Palace, San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:29 pm 

This is most excellent - thank you Presence. =D> Imagine how good it could have been if there had been a decent bunch of musos behind them :wink: :lol:

It looks like I might have to take the leap into burning DL discs - I have steered away so far due to the cost, but this needs to be thrown up on a big screen with some decent sound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:29 am 
Top quality DVD. Thank you, Jason. =D>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 am 
Finally had a chance to watch some of this, great stuff Presence. I've only ever watched this in muffled mono so it's fantastic to see it with cleaner visuals and decent sound.

I was at the show and my overiding memory is of Ronnie Lane being led onto the stage by, I think, Harvey Goldsmith. Ronnie looked so frail it was quite heartbreaking, it was one of those moments which moved you to tears.

I've recently discovered that a few songs weren't included on the video - the ensemble did "Bomber's Moon" (by Ronnie Lane) before Goodnight Irene with Jimmy in restrained mode, here's an MP3 of it which I think comes from the "Night of Kings" CD.

Did anyone notice Jimmy say "where was Jeff?" to Andy Fairweather-Lowe just after finishing Stairway? I read at the time that Jeff Beck was supposed to join Jimmy on stage for the song but never turned up. I guess this proves it.

Finally a mate of mine, Mick, took some photographs from in front of the stage - I've managed to get a still from the video taken at pretty much the same time he took one of the photos. Mick must have been standing only a few feet to the left of the camerman as the angle is almost, but not quite, the same. A bit geeky but I couldn't resist.

Thanks again Presence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm 

Thanks a lot for this! =D> =D> =D>
a nice upgrade over my old VHS tape...
I'll take a look at the whole show soon... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:27 pm 
thank you very much for this. have only had the audio previously. looking forward to actually "attending" this in my living room.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:33 pm 

Thanks so much for this - the quality is great.

Jimmy's solo on Tulsa Time reminds me of Hot Dog... I like it.

As has been mentioned, Winwood does a nice job on the DW2 tracks.

Very cool to see Page, Beck, and Clapton playing together. It's just too bad that Jimmy was in such a diminished state at the time.

____
On another note, can I ask if anyone else is having an issue with the disc seeming to 'freeze' at several points? One notable instance is just before the 'fanfare' portion of Stairway To Heaven, but it's happening at many other times as well - reminiscent of what happens when transition is made from one layer to the next one on a dual layer disc (but longer). I had to split this into two discs because my computer can't burn DL discs, so perhaps this is somehow a consequence of that (although it hasn't happened to me before, and I used the same steps as I always have - splitting with DVD Shrink with No Compression). I haven't watched any of the first disc (I split the discs after Chapter 12, so disc two begins with Jeff Beck's set), so I'm not sure if both discs have the same problem. Just wanted to check if I was the only one.

Thanks again for your work on this show!