Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:32 pm 

I have spent the better part of today tweaking the hell out of the video codecs I use; at this point they are so far from the originals I should call them the Presence Codecs. :lol: Now I need some opinions on whether they help or hurt the end product.

So this one goes out to anyone who has a copy of the Chili Peppers "Breaking The Record" DVD I made a while back. Here is a two-minute segment that I just redid using my new codec settings. If you can compare the old with this new and let me know what you think I would appreciate it.

Right-click, Save As, etc:
http://www.cohesionsound.com/rhcp-pepsi.mpg

Be honest. If it is worse, my feelings will not be hurt. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 am 
I'm afraid I don't have much to say that will help, but . . . to my tired, bloodshot eyes the lighter colors like the blue, red and orange lights look better ("richer" or "deeper" might be the word — it's hard to describe), but it seems like the dark stuff, like their black clothes, loses some detail/clarity. For example, in the new version I can't see where Kiedis's pin-striped vest thing ends and the black shirt he's wearing under it begins; and Frusciante pretty much disappears when he's in front of the stack Marshalls.

Is that useful or did I just waste your bandwidth? :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 pm 
first tried watching one and then the other, too hard to get a good idea with out the side to side.
i went and saved an image from each one to try to compare.

here are the two i did:
new version followed by dvd version

the new version, imo, make the blacks look allot sharper, i noticed this first while watching the two. for example, makes Anthony's hair, and black attire look better. the dvd makes him seem faded, like his clothes have been through the wash several times.

this has some draw backs like Andrew said, loses some of the details. like john's mic stand in that second set, the top half almost blends into the wall on the new version, where as on the dvd version its more visible. also on the first set of pictures, check out chad. just in general you can see some details better in the dvd version.

its easy to analyse these in frames but the true test is in the fluid motion that is video. although to me on the frames the old version looks like it would be better but watching this i like the new version. it just seems richer and more clear...

my $.02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm 
can someone explain why the new version of this from my hdd fills more of the frame than the dvd version from disc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 pm 
The darker colors look "richer", but the brightness overall seems to have gone down. I think it looks better though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:39 pm 

These are good opinions - keep em coming. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm 

The grabs by rambleon84 are a good example of what I was going for:

rambleon84 wrote:

All IMO: The old codec gives the picture a washed-out look, and not quite as sharp. In this case look at Anthony's microphone cord and the texture of the front stage monitors. They appear sharper with the new settings.

The blacks do look a bit overly dark and I might have a go at adjusting that, but is actually truer to the broadcast appearance.

I think what I will do is redo the entire production and release it as a "version 2.0" or something. :lol:

The Plant/Krauss DVD was done with the new codec settings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 pm 
Presence wrote:
I think what I will do is redo the entire production and release it as a "version 2.0" or something. :lol:

Noice, be looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:15 am 
Do you rely on the encoders filters/settings? or do you frameserve to your encoder from Vdub or AVISynth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 pm 

The redux is complete. I want to give it some decent viewing, but you will probably see it soon.

LZJoker wrote:
Do you rely on the encoders filters/settings? or do you frameserve to your encoder from Vdub or AVISynth

Frameserve what? That would only be necessary if I was moving between applications, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:43 am 
Well i set all my filters: levels, colour balance, noise reduction, any cropping/resizing then frame serve it out of Virtualdub to my encoder CCE. All the filters are applied to each frame as they are served directly to the encoder (no other rendering required).