Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 pm 

I just captured a high-def broadcast of this. Watched some of it. "Blue Orchid" -- KICK ASS. Anyone have any detailed information about this session, whether its on video or something I should work on, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 am 
Don't think it' been released on video. Of course it was aired on Sky Arts and Rave HD. Songs played were "Blue Orchid", "Party of Special Things To Do", "Red Rain". "As Ugly As I Seem", "Forever For Her...", "Little Ghost". I would love if you could work on it, just saw a couple clips on youtube....WOW!! :shock:

Blue Orchid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BgdevzEGAnY&feature=related

Party of Special Things To Do
http://youtube.com/watch?v=73Av71aKEbc&feature=related

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:18 am 
Highly interested.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 am 

flipzoso wrote:
Highly interested.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 am 
Ohhhh Yesssir

I would love to see this

Remember when they recorded it - thinking it was going to be an official release - but never was ??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 am 
Searched Zomb, PLG, DaD & TTD & couldn't find anything on this. Seems that there mightn't be a release of this eventhough I have to say I would be surprised if that was the case as they have quiet a big fanbase. WS forums might be the best bet for some info or TTD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:54 am 
Presence wrote:
I just captured a high-def broadcast of this. Watched some of it. "Blue Orchid" -- KICK ASS. Anyone have any detailed information about this session, whether its on video or something I should work on, etc?

http://www.fromthebasement.co.uk/index.php

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/baseme ... drich-show

The website only has brief info, but that seems to fit with the stripped-down theme of the show. No host, no audience. Just bands performing, and producer Nigel Godrich (of Radiohead fame) recording on analog reel-to-reel, with the performances filmed in HD at Maida Vale.

The White Stripes performance was originally released online on December 18th, 2006, first sold as a download. It's been on youtube ever since, and has since made its way to television in the UK. Now it's finally making its way to US television. Judging by the band's clothes and look, I'd say that the session was recorded in 2005, probably around the same time as when they headlined the Glastonbury festival in June of that year.

The videos are currently for sale on itunes. I'm not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not. However, perhaps there is room to make an exception, given the obvious quality limitations in Apple's format, and considering how the sessions were originally intended to look/sound.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 pm 
Oh yes please, I'm interested in a Presence Production of this show. I have a WS proshot up for trade if you'd like. White Stripes/Paris France

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm 

Well... I cannot stop watching it. :lol: And if I am this excited about it, I am sure others would be, too. Maybe I can hammer it out this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 pm 
You kidding? This duo rock, I'm getting use too watching Meg and man she kinda grows on you. Nice titties too : :oops: They rock are raw and makes me wish more bands were this way. They did a tour across Canada and did secret gigs in each province...Very cool!!! They let the fans know 1 or 2 hours prior where the gig would be...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 am 
Another huge Stripes fan here, that would love to see this project get done...
Thank you in advance, if you decide to tackle this project.

Too bad they didn't do Death Letter though -- that would have been devastating!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm 
Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:51 pm 
Digital Graffiti wrote:
Another huge Stripes fan here, that would love to see this project get done...
Thank you in advance, if you decide to tackle this project.

Too bad they didn't do Death Letter though -- that would have been devastating!

I agree, Death Letter would have been KILLER! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:13 pm 

I just finished mastering this for DVD. I need to find the definitive date of recording (which I am having a hard time doing) for the info file before I release this.

In the meantime:
http://www.cohesionsound.com/sample.mpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 pm 
^^^^That looks awesome and sounds even better.

Can't help with the date, but the time is clearly visible. lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:01 pm 
Presence wrote:
I just finished mastering this for DVD. I need to find the definitive date of recording (which I am having a hard time doing) for the info file before I release this.

I'm changing my guess from earlier. It's definitely from November, 2005. Jack White's hair was too long in June of that year at Glastonbury. He cut it short soon after (I saw them at the Glasshouse in July), and let it grow back out. They returned to Northern Europe in October after the US tour, and reached England in November with the following tour schedule:

(US tour August-October 2005)
October 2nd: Masonic, Detroit
October 16th: Le Zenith, Paris
(tour through Europe)
October 31st: Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
November 5th-6th: Hammersmith Apollo, London
November 8th-9th: Alexandra Palace, London
(November 9th: Zane Lowe BBC Radio 1: Maida Vale Studios)
November 10th-11th: Empress Ballroom, Blackpool
November 13th-15th: Academy, Glasgow
November 17th: Apollo, Manchester
November 20th: Laugardalsholl, Reykjavik

Here is a photo from the November 9th, 2005 session with Zane Lowe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/zanelowe/ga ... 04#gallery

Notice that Jack's pointed goatee matches exactly with the footage (even though the clothes don't).

Of course, even though that session was held at Maida Vale, it doesn't necessarily mean that the "From the Basement" segment was from that same day. Theoretically, they could've hit London anytime after their final US tour date of October 2nd, before they played the first Paris date on October 16th. After the Paris gigs they were in Northern Europe for the rest of October, so the earliest they could've been back in London would've been November 1st (the day after the last Euro date on Oct. 31st in Amsterdam). Once back in London (whichever date it was), we know that they stayed there until November 9th (the final date in town). Whether or not they came back to London after the last UK gig in Manchester on the 20th, is anyone's guess.

So, my guess is that the session was held sometime between November 5th-9th. If they were in town immediately after Amsterdam, then perhaps you could widen that range to November 1st-9th. But I'd say sometime between the 5th-9th is the most reasonable bet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 pm 
Hmmm I wonder about Thom Yorke's From The Basement... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm 
Anywhere from November 5th-9th 2005 would make the most sense. I posted over at whitestripes.net, so we'll see if someone over there might know...

EDIT: from, barrowc, over at whitestripes.net
Quote:
It was almost certainly during the UK tour for "Get Behind Me Satan" which ran from 5th to 17th November 2005. I presume that this was recorded in London so somewhere after the 31st October (when they played a show in Holland) but before 10th November (Blackpool) would be best. They didn't play any show on 7th November so that might be the best bet. They recorded two sessions for Radio 1 on 9th November (and played a show later that day) so that is almost certainly out.

This was first put up as a download on From The Basement's website on 18th December 2006 (yes, 2006)