Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: KISS 2008 Remasters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 am 
Quite a few people participated in Presence's KISS/HOF thread so I know there are KISS fans here.

Over at demonoid, someone has posted what he claims to be 2008 KISS Remasters.

"Professionally recorded from the best analog source available transferred straight to hard drives.
No compression use. Better than any commercially available cd pressing ever."

So far he's posted KISS, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed to Kill, Alive!, Destroyer, Rock And Roll Over & Love Gun.

I'm no audiophile, but after listening to a few of these... I have to say they sound amazing... a little better than the 1997 remasters.
I don't know how to explain it... they sound more open, clean and dynamic. I'd assume that's the result of there not being any compression.
Check them out if you can... if you're a fan.

Post subject: Re: KISS 2008 Remasters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 am 
The 1997 rerelease of Double Platinum was terrible.. just some EQ jack-up in the treble range... I was glad to still have my original 80s CD..

I'll definately check these out...

is he trying to say someone in the industry with access has copied these to do this project? "no compression" sure doesn't sound like anything we'd get as an official release.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am 
Holy crap.

a) there are 40+ seeders on each with only a few leeches, so I already have them all. :shock:
b) these are the REAL DEAL. Oh man.. I can't believe how clear... really nice.. you can hear his hands on the fretboard.. never heard all this stuff before... looking at it in coole dit pro, there are no clips.. nice OPEN waveform, full spectrum and not lossy.

so much sound here that I've never heard in the official releases.

amazing! and he's doing a few each day it seems...

he also says:
Quote:
Professionally recorded from the best analog source available transferred straight to hard drives. No compression use. Better than any commercially available cd pressing ever.

A fans dreams come true. All 2008 Remasters will be posted , one at a time though.

Say no to the loudness wars!!!
:thumbsup: my kind of guy...

Quote:

All I'll say is their is a long line of remasters coming up,Not just KISS but
many other greats.

And they will be posted here first.....If you see these on other sites ever.
I'm not the one who posted them.

he has bad spelling, but I'm really curious to see what they do next... me thinks somone got access to some pro-tools transfers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:08 am 
This is kick ass! Time to download 8) . I wonder what other artists he has in store for us? Anyways, kick ass!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 am 
There's digi-grunge splatter in some of this.. usually from bad transfer due to overdriven or inferrior A/D converters.

listen to Firehouse for an example. And Cold Gin.

The 1997 Double Platinum re-issue fixed this, though it wasn't as clear as these are... pitty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:11 am 
appreciate the heads up. This will be an interesting listen. Finally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 am 

Are these vinyl rips or is he saying they are from master tapes or something?

Eddie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 am 
eddiel wrote:

Eddie

Don't see anything to determine and wouldn't hold my breath on that. If they be rips from the Japanese Lp boxset...or from another source (obviously), I've never heard the first KISS album in this quality before. Well looking forward to hearing HTH now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:38 pm 
I got these too (I really like Kiss's early albums, a guilty pleasure 8) ) and I've been wondering what source it is as well. He won't answer anyones questions...funny. I don't think it sounds like an LP?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 pm 
crankerstordard wrote:
I got these too (I really like Kiss's early albums, a guilty pleasure 8) ) and I've been wondering what source it is as well. He won't answer anyones questions...funny. I don't think it sounds like an LP?

Ugh, I hate it when no one knows the source #-o . Either way, they sound way better then the 1997 CD's!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 pm 
I know people are itching for the source, but it seems like it's a secret and the dude doesn't want to give his source up.

I for one could care less, especially if he has access to more stuff that might be cut off if his source is leaked.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:07 pm 
eddiel wrote:

Eddie

Pretty sure these are from someone's (mostly) unmastered 2 track mixdowns in protools - but not the ones used for the 1997 sets..

The A/D sampling here is overdriven just a hair - enough for the solo distorted guitar to have some pretty bad artifacts - just like the original CD releases were (original Double Platinum, for sure). Listen to Cold Gin's beginning, Firehouse... most of the rest where the guitar is by itself. Grunge.

The previous CD editions had this, but they got it out for the 1997 releases... they're completly free from it. I'm not sure if they removed the noise or went back and re-transferred with better A/D converters, but this demonoid set definately is from the early digital transfers with the noise.

The fact that it's (mostly) unmastered is really nice.. I just wish we didn't get the ones with the A/D conversion noise. That, and the high freqs are a hair too hot on all of it... almost like pre-emphasis has been applied and not deemphasised.

Because of that, I'd even hazzard a guess that these transferrs are from old pre-mastering 2 track mixdown reels that were pre-emphasized for using to cut metal masters for LP record albums.

Almost perfect. Certainly great to listen to to hear thing you don't normally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:02 pm 

How does one get on demonoid?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 pm 

Rabbit wrote:

I use Internet Explorer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm 

Presence wrote:
Rabbit wrote:

I use Internet Explorer.

Firefox does it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm 
pernod wrote:
Presence wrote:
Rabbit wrote:

I use Internet Explorer.

Firefox does it for me.

Closely followed up by uTorrent...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:39 pm 
jameskg wrote:
eddiel wrote:

Eddie

Pretty sure these are from someone's (mostly) unmastered 2 track mixdowns in protools - but not the ones used for the 1997 sets..

The A/D sampling here is overdriven just a hair - enough for the solo distorted guitar to have some pretty bad artifacts - just like the original CD releases were (original Double Platinum, for sure). Listen to Cold Gin's beginning, Firehouse... most of the rest where the guitar is by itself. Grunge.

The previous CD editions had this, but they got it out for the 1997 releases... they're completly free from it. I'm not sure if they removed the noise or went back and re-transferred with better A/D converters, but this demonoid set definately is from the early digital transfers with the noise.

The fact that it's (mostly) unmastered is really nice.. I just wish we didn't get the ones with the A/D conversion noise. That, and the high freqs are a hair too hot on all of it... almost like pre-emphasis has been applied and not deemphasised.

Because of that, I'd even hazzard a guess that these transferrs are from old pre-mastering 2 track mixdown reels that were pre-emphasized for using to cut metal masters for LP record albums.

Almost perfect. Certainly great to listen to to hear thing you don't normally.

Wow... I just think they sound good.
I wish I was a smart audio guy like jameskg!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:19 pm 
I suppose I can cut you a demo track of the two, one with the digital errors and one without, if you want.

I'm glad to have them.. just wish they'd stolen the newer transfers without the noise :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:24 pm 
:shock: HOLY SHIT! WOW! These transfers sound awesome! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 pm 
Thanks for the heads up guys, I just started downloading and after a few listens, my jaw dropped - these sound incredible! Great place this internet, eh?

JQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 am 
The first KISS album is still my favorite....I can only imagine what Robert Plant thought when KISS came along.........

"Jimmy, who the fuck are these guys?"

"Robert, Let's do another take of Over the Hill and Far Away" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:07 am 
Alive II is up now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:11 am 
Mr Walker wrote:
Alive II is up now.

this one will be the true litmus test.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:23 am 
Mr. Walker your killing by bandwidth :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:27 am 
i wonder when demonoid will open the registration?