Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject: Re: KISS 2008 Remasters
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm 
deucecoupe wrote:
nolazep wrote:
For someone who really hasn't heard much KISS at all but doesn't care much for the radio hits, what would be a good album to try out? I've heard good things about the Ace record.

ALIVE! or Ace's solo album. I still like Rock and roll over....but I've dug 70's KISS for about 30 years.

Thanks, I'll check out both after work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:57 pm 
I dont like Kiss at all, but I found this whole thread very interesting. I love a good mystery and intrigue!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:59 pm 
nolazep wrote:
deucecoupe wrote:
nolazep wrote:
For someone who really hasn't heard much KISS at all but doesn't care much for the radio hits, what would be a good album to try out? I've heard good things about the Ace record.

ALIVE! or Ace's solo album. I still like Rock and roll over....but I've dug 70's KISS for about 30 years.

Thanks, I'll check out both after work.

Would like to add Destroyer. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm 
Pieter wrote:

Led Zeppelin
April 27, 1977
Cleveland, Ohio

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:32 pm 
drumj56 wrote:
Pieter wrote:

Led Zeppelin
April 27, 1977
Cleveland, Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:37 pm 
:thumbsup: Thanks to Presence and Analogisking for the Kiss remasters!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:22 pm 
Analogisking wrote:
Hello all !!!! :D

Welcome to a great board with some really wonderful and kick-ass-knowledgeable people, and thank you for sharing your stuff here. IMHO, you couldn't have made a better choice.

Question for everyone: Is there any consensus about which of Alive and Alive II got more post-concert audio doctoring?

P.S. Nice avatar!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm 
Awesome! Thank you very kindly to Presence and Analogisking for this treat!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 pm 
I completely forgot about those tattoo's that came with Kiss Alive II. :shock: Wow. :thumbsup: Thanks for the memories!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm 
chs wrote:
Analogisking wrote:

Welcome to a great board with some really wonderful and kick-ass-knowledgeable people, and thank you for sharing your stuff here. IMHO, you couldn't have made a better choice.

Question for everyone: Is there any consensus about which of Alive and Alive II got more post-concert audio doctoring?

P.S. Nice avatar!

Without question Alive II.Listen to the song 'Tomorrow And Tonight'.How many vocal parts can be sung at the same time by one person? Well I guess if your Paul Stanley 3 or 4.
'Detroit Rock City' and 'King Of The Night Time World' sound very studio.

'Rocket Ride' is the best song on the whole thing. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
Analogisking wrote:
chs wrote:
Analogisking wrote:

P.S. Nice avatar!

Without question Alive II.Listen to the song 'Tomorrow And Tonight'.How many vocal parts can be sung at the same time by one person? Well I guess if your Paul Stanley 3 or 4.

Hell have you heard Alive III? :lol: I still love that record, though...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 am 
Analogisking wrote:
chs wrote:
Analogisking wrote:

P.S. Nice avatar!

Makin Love always sounded very doctored in the vocal department, especially compared to bootlegs.

Never cared much for the studio tracks on Alive II.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 am 
I'm listening to the intro to "Rock Bottom", on Dressed To Kill and it sounds like the guitars are right next to me. :shock: Amazing.

Hopefully there's more of these re-masters to come. Thanks again Presence, for sharing them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:56 am 
Grabbed Ace, KISS, & Alive this morning. Thanks analog & Pres!

It's hard to believe that I d/l'ed these 3 albums in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to walk to Sound Warehouse as a kid. Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 am 
Analogisking wrote:
chs wrote:
Analogisking wrote:

P.S. Nice avatar!

I think its been acknowledged by the band that both Tomorrow and Tonight and Hard Luck Woman from Alive II were recorded either at soundcheck or in the studio and had the audience added post production. However, as someone already noted, the worst example of re-recording a "live" album is Alive III. Also, there was a greatest hits released around the time of the first reunion, circa 1996 that purports to have a live version of Rock Bottom and its so obviously a studio recording its not even funny.

JQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:29 am 
speaking of post concert doctoring....

The initial producer targeted for the project, Ronnie Dean, declined the invitation that Eddie Kramer ultimately accepted. Kramer, in fact, passed up the opportunity to do Boston's debut album to work on Alive! Unfortunately, much of the live material recorded for the album was deemed useless, and the album had to be redone top to bottom in the studio. Kramer himself admits, "The first live album was all overdubbed at Electric Lady. Only the drums were kept from the original live recordings; virtually everything else was replaced." JR Smalling continues, "I recall specifically that the explosion at the very top of the show did not record well live. I remember Eddie hunting for a sample of an explosion and dubbing it over the live explosion." Using the ample time between the scattered gigs at the end of the Dressed to Kill tour, Kiss did the overdubs for Alive! at Electric Lady Studios. Most of the work was completed by Aug. 7, 1975.

taken from KISS Alive Forever (The complete touring history)

no wonder the actual 'live show tapes' never come across quite as polished :lol: Still dig Alive!, regardless the 'doctored' feel though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:04 am 
deucecoupe wrote:

Great Book!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:10 am 
Mr Walker wrote:
deucecoupe wrote:

Great Book!

Too true. About as in depth of any I've ever come across regarding KISS. Plus I dig the mostly complete history of all shows and most which were archived with audio sources.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:18 am 
deucecoupe wrote:
Mr Walker wrote:
deucecoupe wrote:

Great Book!

Too true. About as in depth of any I've ever come across regarding KISS. Plus I dig the mostly complete history of all shows and most which were archived with audio sources.

Every band should have a live encyclopedia like this one... well, maybe not every band.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm 
I expect to get that book for Fathers Day this weekend.

I just got back from Canada Customs where I cleared my Kiss pinball into the country. It should be delivered tomorrow or tonight. A great karma moment..I was five minutes into my drive back to the office when RARAN came on the radio..

Along with the AIK re-masters, we're gonna have a rock 'n' roll weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
tommyv wrote:
Along with the AIK re-masters, we're gonna have a rock 'n' roll weekend!

"Looks like we're gonna have ourselves, a Rock n Roll party tonight!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm 
OK so far: Ace > Alive > KISS

I can hear Clutch covering the almighty fuck out of "She" from Alive. :rockout

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 pm 
nolazep wrote:

'She' is my favorite KISS track, hands down. Pick up Rock and Roll Over. It's half price here and has 'Mr. Speed' and 'Makin' Love' :rockout Tough to go wrong with that pick IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:59 pm 
deucecoupe wrote:
nolazep wrote:

'She' is my favorite KISS track, hands down. Pick up Rock and Roll Over. It's half price here and has 'Mr. Speed' and 'Makin' Love' :rockout Tough to go wrong with that pick IMO.

ever heard the original Wicked Lester demo track? With flute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 pm 
deucecoupe wrote:
Only the drums were kept from the original live recordings; virtually everything else was replaced."

i fee that this is an exaggeration.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next