Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject: Re: KISS 2008 Remasters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 am 
OK so I've listened to just about all the albums I scooped (Kiss, Alive, Ace, Destroyer, Rock & Roll Over). Ace is hands-down my favorite, followed by Alive, then the first album. Destroyer and RARO, esp RARO, get a little too cock-rockish for my taste, but there's still some good tracks on there.

Great job on the remasters!!! They sound great. I really have no reference to compare them to except my 45 of "Detroit Rock City" (with "Beth" on the b-side) I got when I was a kid.

My fave tracks are:

Rip It Out
Snowblind
Ozone
Strutter
Deuce
She
Detroit
Mr. Speed

Thanks again to all involved!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:02 pm 
Presence wrote:
Gimme gimme gimme. :roll:

:ooof:

I kinda started this thread because I love being a 'fly on the wall' for audiophilic conversations and thankfully jameskg did just that. (OK, OK and because I'm a big KISS fan as well).
Wooda told me that he was asked by some members of a KISS forum to redo all of the early KISS titles the same way that he did the Paul Stanley solo LP. I'll post an update when he gets round to some more (the man works a tough schedule) because I would love to hear james' take in comparing them with Analogisking's versions and the 1997 remasters. I also threw a request at Wooda to do vinyl rips of the first 6 Van Halen LPs.

BTW, is there some kind of resource or website where you can find info on what audiophiles feel are the best versions (or conversely one's to avoid) concerning releases by different bands?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:11 pm 
nolazep wrote:
OK so I've listened to just about all the albums I scooped (Kiss, Alive, Ace, Destroyer, Rock & Roll Over). Ace is hands-down my favorite, followed by Alive, then the first album. Destroyer and RARO, esp RARO, get a little too cock-rockish for my taste, but there's still some good tracks on there.

Great job on the remasters!!! They sound great. I really have no reference to compare them to except my 45 of "Detroit Rock City" (with "Beth" on the b-side) I got when I was a kid.

My fave tracks are:

Rip It Out
Snowblind
Ozone
Strutter
Deuce
She
Detroit
Mr. Speed

Thanks again to all involved!

Wait till you get a load of 'Unmasked' and 'Music From The Elder'... you ain't heard nothing yet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 pm 
I don't think any amount of remastering can help The Elder. I find that album pretty much unlistenable.

It's one of a handful of albums I put on every few years to see if my tastes have changed, or perhaps about which I can discover some redeeming quality.

To date, I haven't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 pm 

myorkshire wrote:
I don't think any amount of remastering can help The Elder. I find that album pretty much unlistenable.

It's one of a handful of albums I put on every few years to see if my tastes have changed, or perhaps about which I can discover some redeeming quality.

To date, I haven't.

I like a world without heroes and the oath, dark light is not bad either. the rest of the album I find unlistenable. except I also like just a boy. so I guess I like half the album :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:08 pm 
myorkshire wrote:

To date, I haven't.

hmmm....

Well, there's always next year or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 pm 
Anybody remember KISS performing the Maiden-esque 'I' on the tv show Solid Gold.

KISS was bringing metal back to the masses back in '81!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIvYi6MLBD4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:29 pm 
I've gotta check out the solo albums this weekend. I remember when they first came out, the reviews were almost unanimous that Ace's was the only one worth getting.

My recollection is that all four albums might have been able to comprise one decent KISS album (allowing for the length of LPs in the 70's).

Would've been interesting to (i) kill the studio side of Alive II and make it a complete 4 sided live album, (ii) include live tracks that were left out (Take Me is the glaring omission), and resequence a new KISS studio album with:

Side One
Tonight You Belong to Me
Rocket Ride
Larger Than Life
Move On
Tossin and Turnin' (done in a KISS arrangement)

Side Two
All American Man
Radioactive
Snow Blind
New York Groove
Take Me Away (Together As One)

Or something like that ... I dunno ... those solo albums are weird. Including stuff from all four isn't as easy. Lots of songs, but not a lot of very good ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:32 pm 
jstger6969 wrote:
myorkshire wrote:

To date, I haven't.

I like a world without heroes and the oath, dark light is not bad either. the rest of the album I find unlistenable. except I also like just a boy. so I guess I like half the album :?

The record just wreaks of Spinal Tap to me. Paul's falsetto in Just a Boy used to make me literally laugh out loud. It was like, OMG - they decided to try and become Andrew Lloyd Webber.

That said, I remember liking A World Without Heroes when it came out in 1982.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:34 pm 
Here's my ratings of the solo LPs

1) Ace
2) Paul (the only reason Paul's isn't number one is 'Hold Me, Touch Me (Think of Me When We're Apart)')
3) Gene (not because it sucks, but because Ace & Paul's are better... 'Always Near You (Nowhere To Hide) is one of my favorite songs of all time)

4) Peter (because it does suck... except for maybe 'I Can't Stop The Rain')

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:54 pm 
jameskg... are you gonna check this out?

KISS - Pure Vinyl Transfer Series 2008
KISS (1974)

24 Bit http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1524049/29444787/
16 Bit http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1524048/26173144/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 pm 
There's another fella at the demon posting KISS Vinyl rips.
He goes by the name Eddy_litE... and they sound real good (he also posted a vinyl rip of Ozzy/Randy Tribute and some cool MSG stuff).

And oh, by the way... With his Dynasty vinyl rip he did include 2 bonus tracks... the extended disco mixes for 'Dirty Livin' and 'I Was Made For Loving You'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:43 pm 
sorry I missed your earlier post until you bumped the thread today..

I'll probblay track those down when I have a chance to compare to what I have.. that won't be this week, doesn;t look like...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:12 am 
Finally had a chance for some relaxed listening. Even though Kiss is not a favored band, great sound does wonders for listening enjoyment.

Odd as it may sound, my favorite Kiss song is "Love Theme From Kiss." Where did the band get this? :shock: :shock: It sounds nothing like their other music. By far, the classiest Kiss music I've heard, with a distinct prog rock sound. In fact, if the drums (especially the tom toms) were crisper, there are portions where a casual listener might think it's Yes. Nicest bass work I've heard from Long Tongue.

Many thanks again to Analogisking!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:31 am 
Mr Walker wrote:
Anybody remember KISS performing the Maiden-esque 'I' on the tv show Solid Gold.

Didnt Kiss by thier own admission get as far away as possible from being Hard Rock or "metal" around this timeframe which is one of the reasons why by design, they came back with the harder rocking Creatures of the Night?

Dont get me wrong, I have a soft spot myself for the Elder (as does Geoff Tate from Queensryche), just not sure if I would say Kiss was bringing metal back to the masses in 81! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 am 
Johnny Q wrote:
Mr Walker wrote:

Didnt Kiss by thier own admission get as far away as possible from being Hard Rock or "metal" around this timeframe which is one of the reasons why by design, they came back with the harder rocking Creatures of the Night?

Dont get me wrong, I have a soft spot myself for the Elder (as does Geoff Tate from Queensryche), just not sure if I would say Kiss was bringing metal back to the masses in 81! :D

I was joking around... LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:40 am 
chs wrote:
Finally had a chance for some relaxed listening. Even though Kiss is not a favored band, great sound does wonders for listening enjoyment.

Odd as it may sound, my favorite Kiss song is "Love Theme From Kiss." Where did the band get this? :shock: :shock: It sounds nothing like their other music. By far, the classiest Kiss music I've heard, with a distinct prog rock sound. In fact, if the drums (especially the tom toms) were crisper, there are portions where a casual listener might think it's Yes. Nicest bass work I've heard from Long Tongue.

Many thanks again to Analogisking!

That's a recycled bit from Gene & Paul's pre KISS band Wicked Lester... I think it used to go by the name Acrobat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:58 am 
^^^ Didn't know that, thank you! Kiss should do some more recycling. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
Mr Walker wrote:
Johnny Q wrote:
Mr Walker wrote:

I was joking around... LOL!

Oh man - I totally missed that....good one!!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:37 am 
jameskg wrote:
sorry I missed your earlier post until you bumped the thread today..

I'll probblay track those down when I have a chance to compare to what I have.. that won't be this week, doesn;t look like...

Check out the 2008 Japanese SHM-CD of KISS 'Unmasked' when you start grabbing KISS stuff over there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am 
so is it possible to still get a hold of these? I really would like Alive and Dynasty - I to the rest of the 70s albums.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am 
I may be the odd fan out, but personally, after 30 odd years of listening to the "obvious" KISS albums my favorites have recently become:

"Unmasked" - yes, very strange moments in KISStory but Ace's stuff still kicks ass and this album has got a very unique vibe that I used to find very irritating but it has really grown on me lately. "Torpedo Girl" is a great Ace track and "Is That You" has always been pretty catchy.

"The Elder" - when I got the remastered CD about 6 or 7 years ago it was the first time I'd ever got to hear it in it's proper sequence. That alone made it worthwhile, but I have to say it really grew on me as a complete album. Concept albums are always pretty lame in my opinion, and this one and Quadrophenia are the only ones that I regularly listen to (ok not THAT regularly, but I do listen to them now and then).

"Ace Frehley" - for obvious reasons

"Paul Stanley" - especially "Tonight You Belong To Me", "Move On", "Love In Chains" & "Goodbye". It's not super heavy but compared to the rest of what was going on at the time (Gerry Rafferty? Christopher Cross?) it's got some pretty groovy moments. I love the 2+ minutes of guitar soloing on "Move On" it deserves to be bumped up in the mix if you ask me. Again, very 70's style production, playing and songwriting (rather than "Metal" or even "Hard Rock", but pretty good if you ask me - although I am well aware that nobody asked me!).

C3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:39 am 
I'd say you are not the avg KISS fan ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 am 
jameskg wrote:
I'd say you are not the avg KISS fan ;)

Heh. Yeah, but it's been what? 25 Years since KISS's classic period? You have to make the best of what you've got! (And Psycho Circus... ummm).

C3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 am 
I have the 45 single of New York Groove I think the B side was Snowblind but I'd have to dig it up :D but I don't recall Ace's solo album being part of the remasters??? Did I miss it?

edit: some pix for ya :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next