Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
Hi,

I do alot of spare writing and journaling in my freetime, and after having the opportunity to introduce myself to Purple Chick, there was almost an immediate bond in our interests. So after many conversations and chats, I asked him if he would be okay if I were to interview him, and he said he was 'flattered' that I would want to interview him. So here is my full, unedited interview with him. This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime reads, and a splendid opportunity to get some answers from many questions fans have been yearning to ask Purple Chick himself, including what he's currently working on. Also, if anyone has any further questions for PC, I've been asked by him to forward any further questions from me or any readers to him, and he'd be happy to answer any further questions. Enjoy this very interesting read!

1) My questions are written in black, while his answers are written in purple (how clever right? :P), and in italics.

2) If you are going to post this interview elsewhere, please do not alter it in anyway and state the author, and the person interviewed.

Here's the interview!

> 1) First off, how long have you been a Beatles fan?
I've been a Beatle fan since my early teens.

> 2) Where and when did you come up with the idea to start
> the 'Purple Chick' releases made by fans for fans?

Many years ago on an email list far, far away someone suggested updating Great Dane's wonderful BBC Sessions Box with recently-upgraded sources. I had been thinking much the same thing and, hearing no other takers, decided that someone may as well be me.

I had fun, and things just snowballed from there.

> 3) Why do you choose the name screename 'Purple
> Chick'? Is there any other meaning to it?

The person who does the artwork came up with it. It's both an in-joke and an homage to Yellow Dog and Great Dane.

> 4) What was your first Beatleg project that you created?
> And when did you create it?

I think the Complete BBC Sessions Upgraded was in 2001.

> 5) How long did it take you to compile all the sources for each
> individual [deluxe edition] release?

That all depends. Some sources I had already, some I needed to search out.

On that note, I am eternally grateful for those who have helped us out with material over the years. I'm sure I don't do a good enough job at thanking them adequately. I am ashamed that I have lost touch with some really wonderful, generous people.

I'm also indebted to the research of various authors and internet posters - without them I wouldn't know where to start.

> 6) Which of all your releases took you the longest to complete? The
> shortest?

A/B Road took over a year from start to finish. Others were done in a day. It really depends on how big the project, how complex the work, and how enthusiastic I am about the project.

The Elvis American Sound set sat incomplete on my hard drive for a couple of years before I went back and finished it. The Buddy Holly set also sat around for over a year while I tracked down all the material. I've had a Billie Holiday 'not-on-the-box-sets' collection sitting around, half finished, for five, six years or more.

> 7) Unrelated to your works, how long did it take you to compile your
> collection of Beatles studio outtakes?

Oh, I'm still working on it. It's nothing that anyone else couldn't do if they wanted to, especially now with the advent of high-speed Internet.

> 8) Back to the discussion of your releases, did you ever
> run into any problems, technical or not?

I don't recall any real technical problems. If there's ever an audio problem that needs addressing, I figure out how to make it happen. That does mean that I'm always learning new technical tricks. I'm sure I could go back and make every release better. But there's a law of diminishing returns too.

I think the biggest problem was the "Wait" outfake. That didn't quite come out quite as good as I'd hoped.

The main problem I've encountered is completely out of my control: what's circulating out there doesn't necessarily represent the 'finished' product. For example, I learned - too late - that the 2004 BBC Upgrade copied a mistake from Yellow Dog. I fixed the problem, but that fix never made it to lots of the copies floating about.

That's the reason that, at the start of the Deluxe series, I promised that I wouldn't bother with 'fixes.' I broke that promise because I screwed up. I decided a half-assed fix was better than no fix at all.

But when it comes to something like A/B Road, then what's the point? There's a few problems, some that occurred after the set left our hands. But who is going to care about a few minor fixes for a set that nobody listens to for pleasure in the first place?

> 9) What is your philosophy behind your works? Do you have any sort of
> "motto" or something that keeps you going in difficult times in making
> your projects?
> 10) What inspired you to create your projects? Why do you
> do it?

I'm just making what I'd like to see on my shelves. I am flattered that people seem to like my work but there's no motivation, financial or otherwise, except to please myself.

If there are difficult times, I'll just choose something else to do.

The philosophy is an extension of that. I want to have a concise collection, intelligently sequenced, with the best sources, speed corrected, and with any major problems fixed.

I used to be against using equalization on the sources - I could always change the eq as I was listening to things. This changed toward the end of the Deluxe Edition process. For example, compare the two eq'd and speed corrected tracks on the Let It Be Deluxe edition to the original 'OPD' source. It's not even close.

> 11) What was your first Beatleg?

Ultra Rare Trax 1&2. It doesn't get any better than that.
Some other early ones: Sessions, Quarrymen At Home, Meet The Beeb.

> 12) Did you ever see the Beatles in concert?

I've seen 3/4 of the Beatles in concert. Close enough, I guess.

> 13) What other bands do you enjoy listening to besides the Beatles?

I have eclectic tastes. As you can tell by some of the things I've put together, I like the Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, Jellyfish, Nilsson, Simon and Garfunkel, Aimee Mann, Billie Holiday. There are also bands like Crowded House, And a whole bunch of obscure acts that you probably wouldn't have heard of.

> 14) I've noticed that you have done several other
> projects for bands other then The Beatles - do you collect bootlegs
> from any other bands?

I have an awful lot of CDs, but I'm a very bad collector. I tend to lose interest when it gets hard (or expensive) to finish off a collection.

Lately I've got such a backlog of things to listen to that I'm not actively searching much out.

> 15) I've noticed on many torrent sites, that you do not upload your
> own releases. Why do you send copies of your releases for other
> people to circulate on the web?

I don't even send copies out for other people to circulate. I'm not a distributor.

I have a couple of trusted, long-term trading partners. Things just get spread out from there. I'm not a part of that, I don't ask for it to happen, but I suppose it's inevitable.

Besides, if I had control over distribution, I wouldn't allow the 'fix' thing to become an issue. I'd make sure everybody got the right product.

> 16) Last off, what are the future plans for the Purple
> Chick? Are you in the process of creating any releases
> right now?

Right now I'm finishing off a 'Beatles Live Before America' collection. It seemed a natural progression from the Star Club tapes. As well as the new 'It's The Beatles' source I think there's some decent upgrades in there. I'll probably continue on with that series because I'm not sure it's been done properly - at least, not the way I'd do things myself.

I'm also working on a set of the Beatles demos/home recordings that I haven't covered already. I'll try and finish that off soon, but some of the material isn't all that inspiring.

I started upgrading the audio to Let It Be on DVD but I'm not so good at that and I got bored/frustrated so that's on the backburner.

Other possible projects:
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band: I've wanted to do this set for years now - long before last year's HMC sets (which, if anything, dampened my enthusiasm). I kept holding off because I was hoping for some of the existent-but-not-bootlegged recordings to appear. So far, no luck.

George Harrison: Complete rarities. Again, the search for a couple of things slowed me down. I think I have everything now.

Wilburys demos/outtakes: I know, everybody has them, but I think I could improve the sound and round up a couple of stray rarities along the way.

I'm also mulling over various projects involving Simon and Garfunkel, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Cochran, the Everly Brothers, and The Searchers. Time and financial constraints - and laziness - are holding those up.

And, obviously, if some new and interesting material comes my way then I'll be all over that.

There's the interview! Again, if you have any further questions, please PM them to me and I will forward them to Purple Chick. Thanks,

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 pm 
=D> nifty...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 pm 
Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 pm 
Nice job J. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 pm 
Wonderful!!! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 am 
I've already reed this very nice interview a BZ Forum...great job =D> (and btw you must have very good connection...cuz PC generally speaking never want to expose directly himself/its works online too much ... like the good doctor or MS don't too :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 am 
Great post. Thank you. Looking forward to the Wilbury's release having just caught the documentary on the Sundance channel after all of those years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:47 am 
Yeah, I'm interesting in those Wilbury outtakes/demos too! Anyone have details? What about this Buddy Holly set he was talking about? Is that circulating?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am 
I found the Buddy Holly set (10 discs!) and I hope to grab it tonight. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:03 am 
Ram4 wrote:
Yeah, I'm interesting in those Wilbury outtakes/demos too! Anyone have details? What about this Buddy Holly set he was talking about? Is that circulating?

I can PM you a list of PC's discography if you want it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:16 am 
drumj wrote:
Ram4 wrote:

I can PM you a list of PC's discography if you want it

Does a bear shit in the woods? :-k

Damn right I want it! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:52 pm 
Great interview. Ask PC to do the same for Zeppelin outtakes and rehearsals! Those beatles sets are as good as a fan could want. Saved me from trying to sift through all the miles and miles of Beatlegs sorting out what had one alternate mix not found elsewhere, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 pm 
butcherboy wrote:
Ask PC to do the same for Zeppelin outtakes and rehearsals!

I actually did ask him that at one point (before the whole interview), and he said he is not planning on doing any Zeppelin or related projects, even though he says he's a hardcore fan who owns multiple versions of all their official releases. Maybe I should lure him into joining RO :?: . Eh, no point though - he would only lurk :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:58 pm 
Maybe you could lure him into sharing his contact list - he didn't collect all of those recordings by just rummaging around his basement. He must be very well connected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:31 am 
Nice read, thanks for posting.

I'm sure Mr. Purple Chick (?) would be welcome as an RO lurker. :)

(Maybe he could help jameskg with his studio 'project'). ;) :lol: :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm 
Awesome news guys! I am going to be interviewing William Stout, creator of some of the original TMOQ artwork, when he gets back from Comic-Con International. He has agreed to participate in the interview, and seemed very excited to do it. This is very exciting! Stay tuned 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm 
drumj wrote:
Awesome news guys! I am going to be interviewing William Stout, creator of some of the original TMOQ artwork, when he gets back from Comic-Con International. He has agreed to participate in the interview, and seemed very excited to do it. This is very exciting! Stay tuned 8)

Maybe ask him about the Burn Like A Candle art and if he has been approched to do any more like it. Although I'm not really into art, it would be cool to see him do some art for the O2 show. Maybe Jimmy should hire him to do the offical 02 art.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 pm 
bonzo71 wrote:
. Maybe Jimmy should hire him to do the offical 02 art.

Neat idea, in fact too bad they didnt use the Burn Like A Candle cover instead of HTWWW! But obviously using Stout would be acknowledging boots and be seen maybe by legal types as approving of them in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 am 
drumj wrote:

Excellent interview with Purple Chick! =D>

Can't wait to read your interview with Stout. All I know about him is what little appears in Heylin's "Bootleg" book. I'd love to know what inspired some of his covers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm 
Fantastic stuff, many thanks indeed! If you get back to Mr Chick please thank him for the tremendous work they do, EMI please take note!