Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm 

It has been a while since I posted a new production. Last weekend I broke out the trusty Ampex VTR machine and digitized the A.R.M.S. Concert tape - the first show from September 20, 1983 that eventually was made an official release. I have worked on it for the last week and hope to wrap it up tonight. This tape has held up very well and I am pleased with the near-final results. 8) (It was this tape, along with my quest for a Supershow tape (never found), that led me to purchase all these laserdisc pressing tapes.) Anyway - just a heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:34 pm 
Awesome 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:40 pm 

Wow - I've been wanting an A.R.M.S. show for a while...can't wait!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:00 pm 

Yeah... I meant to have it ready for the 25th anniversary, but got caught up in other things. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:13 pm 
Neat-o.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 pm 

8) ...I have the Brazilian release, an average transfer IMO, very much looking forward to the Presence version :D .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:32 pm 
Looking good, best i have seen it...

Man, I hate the 80's style drummers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:40 pm 

That guy was with The Who on the 1989 Tommy tour. :shock: Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 pm 
Presence wrote:

Simon Phillips? I swear he'd never heard that song before. I figured he'd say "i didn;t want to play it just like bonham"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:41 pm 
Yeah, he was horrible on that tour too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 am 
Presence wrote:

Phillips is one of the best drummers in the world, & one of my favourites, but just has the wrong style for either Zep or The Who. Far better suited to Beck, whose band he was in at the time of the ARMS stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 am 

Yea, Philip's playing and sound for the most part do not suit this song AT ALL, but one of the reasons I've always liked this version is because of Jimmy from 0:20 - 0:33. Something about his tone and playing during those 13 seconds, and that part when he switches to the 12-string a 0:27, it's just perfect. I haven't even heard many Zep versions where that part sounds as good by him as it does here.

I've only ever seen thse ARMS clips on YouTube, so I can't really compare, but I can't imagine it looking much better than this! The mix is dry and flat, but nice that it's in stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am 
this is going to be sweet! i've always had trouble getting a copy of one of these shows because people weren't seeding anymore or some other issue...pres, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 am 

Thanks for the .mpg sample. Can someone provide guidance as to what codec is needed in Windows Media Player 9 to play this? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:23 am 
tjkrol wrote:
Thanks for the .mpg sample. Can someone provide guidance as to what codec is needed in Windows Media Player 9 to play this? Thanks in advance.

mine just opened up in wmp when i tried it after you asked. originally i played it with VLC media player which is my defacto player for most things, it handles a ton of stuff video and audio:

www.videolan.org

you might try that if you can't get windows media player to work well with the clip.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:26 am 

waiving wrote:
this is going to be sweet! i've always had trouble getting a copy of one of these shows because people weren't seeding anymore or some other issue...pres, thanks in advance.

Me, too. I waited for two weeks on the MSG DVD's but then decided I might be looking too greedy. :(

This clip looks great! STH (sans vocals) is one of the main reasons I look forward to this. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:06 am 

waiving wrote:
tjkrol wrote:

mine just opened up in wmp when i tried it after you asked. originally i played it with VLC media player which is my defacto player for most things, it handles a ton of stuff video and audio:

http://www.videolan.org

you might try that if you can't get windows media player to work well with the clip.

That worked.............thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:00 pm 
Clip is great, looks so much better than the old VHS blur release. Sounds nice, warm and crisp too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:13 pm 
Ha, great. Thanks for this, my first time seeing Jimmy. I had a copy of the original video when it came out - unfortunately it was stolen from my flat years ago, never thought I'd see a quality version again. In fact it looks from the clip that this is better than the original.

The whole show was great. We were sat about halfway down the auditorium, there was no security to speak of so my mate wandered to the front with his camera and snapped away, unfortunately in his excitement he didn't quite get the focus right. I ended up joining him and am probably amongst the gaggle of people that can be seen in front of the stage just before the end of the clip - before anyone asks the negatives have gone, but I can post scans of what I've got if interested.

Wonderful memories, and thanks again Presence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 pm 
wow, quality stuff, I'm excited 8)

great pic, jonnie! would love to see more if you have

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:34 pm 

Question. I have looked at the sample clip and it kinda looks dark like the brazilian boot released a couple of years ago. Would this be a fair assessment of what to expect?

I have an original VHS tape which is better in terms of the lighting balance.

Cheers
Block

8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 pm 

Blockbuster wrote:
Question. I have looked at the sample clip and it kinda looks dark like the brazilian boot released a couple of years ago. Would this be a fair assessment of what to expect?

I have an original VHS tape which is better in terms of the lighting balance.

Cheers
Block

8)

I disagree. I have the Brazilian silvers, IMO that version is much darker than the Presence clip after comparing them both on the PC. The audio on Pres's version is much better as well with the Brazilian version sounding a bit muted in comparison. I took a couple screenshots, unfortunately I was unable to take them both with the same program (not sure why...weird) but you get the picture:

Presence version:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4042/presenceta8.jpg

Brazilian Version:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/155/brazilianlc3.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:50 pm 

Blockbuster wrote:
I have looked at the sample clip and it kinda looks dark

I have been asked about the darkness levels of my productions before, almost since the first ones I did, and though I gave an explanation it has long disappeared. So here is the short version. :)

In all of my productions I use the full range of YCbCr, 0-255, and not the shortened range used by most video renderers, 8-235 (zero is true black.) As a result, what is supposed to be black is black. Also, these laserdisc pressing tapes I use are far easier to calibrate for such and yield much better color spectrum results. VHS tapes are limited, and the blacks tend to be "washed out" with a whitish hue to them, like if you had the contrast turned up too high on your television.

In the end, I suppose it all depends on tastes. Well, this is my taste. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:59 pm 
Good Lord! This is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 pm 
Best version I've seen!!! =D> =D> Looks/sounds great Prez! :thumbsup:

and as for S.Phillips on STH......I still contend it's not as annoying as the ending of the "needs more gong" version of Layla. :lol: