Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 am 

One of my best friends will travel in London the first week of January 2009.
Since he is as myself a record collecting maniac is there anybody
from London who can recommend some record stores for buying used and new
LPs and CDs as well to check is there in this period a record fair
in London or London area.

Thank you in advance.

Zep_sr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:08 am 

Hey

There is indeed a record fair in Olympia (a short walk from Earl's Court station) but that is on the 24th so your friend might miss that. This site lists most of the record fairs: www.vip-24.com

As for record stores. I'll start with the chain stores.

Probably the best would be HMV on Oxford Street, The best all round selection at the moment which spans all area's. They usually have a good selection of back catalogue and their rock n roll sections (i.e. early rock n roll) is great. Also has vinyl.

You can also hit Zavvi on Oxford St & Tottenham Crt Rd corner. There is also a Virgin at Picadilly Circus. I haven't been there for years but I think the selection is still very good. Yo ualso have Fopp just down the road on Tottenham Crt Rd which sells new stuff and has great prices on back catalogue cds. Think £5 range (with the USD to £ exchange you should get some good deals).

For non-commercial shops head into Soho. On Berwick St you have Sister Ray a used record store who's name escapes me a few doors down and a bit further down you have Music Exchange which is another record store. There is also a shop called SOund of the Unvierse but that deals mainly with non-rock stuff.

Just off of Oxford St is a Hanway which has two used record shops that sell mainly collector vinyl. Nice shops but haven't been there for ages.

All the shops above are basically within walking distance from each other. Very close.

Ouside of Soho you got some shops as well. If you're friend can make it out to Spitafields he should have a look at Rough Trade. You won't find regular rock stuff (I'm not even sure they stock Zeppelin to be honest) but if you want newer music its the place to go. Lots of electronic, new folk, etc.

In Portobello Road there's a shop called Intoxica: http://www.intoxica.co.uk/ I went there ages ago and they had a lost of collector vinyl.

I think there is a Music Exchange not far from Intoxica in Notting Hill. That used to be very good.

I've lived here for 14 years and yes the selection of record stores has drastically reduced. Soho used to have a lot of them but the selection now is still good. It could be a lot worse!

Eddie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:16 am 
I thought Sister Ray had gone under?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 am 
symon wrote:

my mate works on berwick street, he says its still open

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:56 am 
goldenbreast wrote:
symon wrote:

Cool. I'm sure I was reading about it closing andthat this was a terrible thing to happen. I seem to have got my wires crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 am 

Thanks to everybody that helped me and my friend.
R-O is the best community on the Internet.

Happy New Year 2009

Zep_sr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:28 pm 

goldenbreast wrote:
symon wrote:

Yeah apparently they were saved from administration. Not sure how well they will hold up in 2009 consider the economic climate.

I hope they do survive but they do need to do something with the shop. Its needs to be refreshed somewhat I think.

Eddie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm 
eddiel wrote:
Hey

You can also hit Zavvi on Oxford St & Tottenham Crt Rd corner.

Not any more , they've gone bust. Were rubbish anyway compared to HMV or Fopp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:11 pm 
Don't forget Rough Trade in Covent Garden, Neals Yard to be exact. If you want anything cutting edge, electronica, rock, industrial, etc. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 am 
Although I do not live in London anymore, seems most of the more interesting record shops has disappeared due to the high rents in central London, replaced by Starbucks and fancy offices. Still some good shops as mentioned in previous posts with keen prices and wide selection, but not sure any bootlegs are sold.

Used to like the guy in Convent Garden Market who had a stall (now gone) selling vinyl boots at outrageous prices. Good to look at, but alas not to buy. His rational was that someone in central London would pay these crazy prices.

Also just off Soho (I think Berwick Passage) you could go downstairs to purchase under-the-counter Zep vinyl Boots. Think there is still a record store in the Passage but the boot seller has long gone. Boots seem to have moved from record shops, to record fairs in the late 80s/90 and then to the internet.

Internet is cheaper (free) but not so much fun.

Like the book and film High Fidelity seems many of these record stores where run by grumpy misfits who got into record selling in the late 60s.

Also Beanos in Croydon market was a great Aladdins cave of a record store which claimed to be the largest second hand record store in the UK. Sadly it seems to have closed last year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 am 

boleskine wrote:
Don't forget Rough Trade in Covent Garden, Neals Yard to be exact. If you want anything cutting edge, electronica, rock, industrial, etc. 8)

Moved! They set up shop in Spitalfields area off Birck Lane. Flagship store and its ace. Definitely would recomend it to anyone who enjoyes the record buying experience

Eddie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:06 am 

JULIAN wrote:
Although I do not live in London anymore, seems most of the more interesting record shops has disappeared due to the high rents in central London, replaced by Starbucks and fancy offices. Still some good shops as mentioned in previous posts with keen prices and wide selection, but not sure any bootlegs are sold.

Used to like the guy in Convent Garden Market who had a stall (now gone) selling vinyl boots at outrageous prices. Good to look at, but alas not to buy. His rational was that someone in central London would pay these crazy prices.

Also just off Soho (I think Berwick Passage) you could go downstairs to purchase under-the-counter Zep vinyl Boots. Think there is still a record store in the Passage but the boot seller has long gone. Boots seem to have moved from record shops, to record fairs in the late 80s/90 and then to the internet.

Internet is cheaper (free) but not so much fun.

Like the book and film High Fidelity seems many of these record stores where run by grumpy misfits who got into record selling in the late 60s.

Also Beanos in Croydon market was a great Aladdins cave of a record store which claimed to be the largest second hand record store in the UK. Sadly it seems to have closed last year.

Yes they have mostly disappeared. I have been here for 14 years and the change in that amount of time alone is incredible. All the collector type of shops have moved to online or record fairs. WHen I came here in 94 in Hanway street there was about 5 record stores one that sold excellent memorabilia e.g. Zeppelin concert posters and the like. Now there are two shops there and neither are as great as they once were.

There was a shop that closed and they still had an old map of soho showing all the record shops. It seemed like there were two shops on street at one time.

I consider myself lucky that we have what we still have. Still I can't get everything I want from these shops and still have to buy online from time to time for audiophile lp releases.

Basically as leases came up for renewal areas that were once cheap were now expensive and the landlords wanted to get in on the new rents and obviously these record shops couldn't pay.

The streets now are filled with restaurants and various places to eat. You will never be short of a place to eat now in London. It's ridiculous to be honest.

Everywhere has suffered. Even my home town of Toronto isn't what it used to be for record shops.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 am 
Does anybody remember Vinyl Experience that used to be on Hanway Street (off oxford st)

Now that was a record shop - back in the day - sadly long gone

I heard the owner got caught up in something he shouldn't have been....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 pm 
I was moaning about this a few days ago to a friend but didn't realise the contraction of record shops was as big as this. When I first discovered Sister Ray/Selectadisc (as it's been called), there were 10 or so shops on Berwick Street but now there's only a few left and this is only over the last 2-3 years I think. It makes me think of Loughborough where I've been at university, 6 record shops a year and a bit ago and now only Zavvi!

Zavvi is in administration but is still open I believe so may be fun for bargain hunting!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:44 pm 
Lots of university towns in the UK had great little independent record store where you could find some long deleted gems or strange album never seen before or since. Not sure where people sell their old records, cds now.

Not sure if the internet will be able to replacement this eclectic choice as all the sites use the same great lumbering data base which can often list titles that are not available.

With the internet you need to know what you are looking for, with the old independent record shops you could browse. Remembering years ago you could just pick records just for the title - Amboy Dukes Journey to the centre of the mind or buy the Other Way out by Sun Dial because it was an actual record store release (UFO records in Hanway Street). Anyone know what happened to Sun Dial great band with titles like ‘Exploding in your mind, and Plains of Nazca'?

Maybe people will get bored with internet retailers and the small shops will make a comeback

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 pm 

JULIAN wrote:
With the internet you need to know what you are looking for, with the old independent record shops you could browse.

Yeah that is the BIG downside with internet buying. Usually I have no idea what I want or if I do I used to wind up buying something different because I just browsed.

I now try browsing on ebay but its not as fun or as easy!

Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:23 am 
I went to the Camden area while there for the 02 show. There were many record stores in a small area. There was alot of zep cd's/dvd's and vinyl.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:27 am 
Just as an update, I was in Sister Ray the week before last and it's looking a bit empty to tell the truth. They had a nice clearing out the cupboard sale but apart from that, there seemed to be a lack of stock. I hope they aren't going to go under, I've always found some nice bargains in there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:11 am 
there are still quite a few relly good vinyl stores in London, they just moved to other areas.

My selection (the ones not yet mentioned above)

Haggle Vinyl on Essex Road - www.hagglevinyl.com
Flashback Records also on Essex Road and a smaller one in Crouch End - www.flashback.co.uk
Retrobloke in Church Road in Hendon- www.retrobloke.com
Revival Records on Berwick Street - http://www.revivalrecords.uk.com/

there are also 2 in Hanway Street in London wher I don't know what they are called. I am sure there are loads more in South London but I usually never venture that far as the shops in North (where I live) and Central London provide enough opportunity to get rid off my cash...