Cohesion Sound

Home of the Presence Production
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm 

Popped this in the player today. :D I love watching this show! This was one of my first productions, for a long-gone chap known as long_black_wavy_hair (he fell into the "Where Is He Now" category.) For as much praise as this got, I see a few things that could use improvement. Time for a remastering.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:48 pm 
Presence wrote:
PoppedThis was one of my first productions, for a long-gone chap known as long_black_wavy_hair (he fell into the "Where Is He Now" category.)

Didn't he have heart problems?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:05 am 
thanks for having made it available - greatly appreciated viewing and it's a fine SRV performance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm 
Thanks for another brilliant offer!!

Post subject: SRV "Pepsi Challenge"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 pm 

After a prolonged period of not working on any productions, I at last broke out the 'ol Ampex VTR machine (having to recalibrate it took hours alone) and am going to revisit some of my old works, beginning with one of my very first productions, the SRV "Live in Japan 1985" tape.

I have sunk a few days into it already. I thought I would be able to improve on a few areas, but now I am wondering if I am being far too nitpicky and if anyone would even notice the differences. So I have decided to present a "Pepsi challenge."

Two samples. One of them is my originally released production; the other is my new mastering. Even if you cannot tell them apart, which do you prefer?

http://www.cohesionsound.com/srv1.mpg
http://www.cohesionsound.com/srv2.mpg

(For people wondering what a "Pepsi challenge" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_challenge)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm 
I did A/B, screenshots... and I think I prefer SRV2. However... it's so close that I may just prefer #2 b/c I think it's the newer one. If I have to choose, I choose SRV2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:29 pm 
they both look good IMO....crisp on the closeups, hardly any ghosting/haze on shots w/ back/side lights in the shot (like when Steve walks back towards the pedalboard and turns around to the audience) .....and the whites look white...(both his and Tommy's guitar straps)

It's your production, and I'm not gonna get out a microscope. Honestly, I looked at both several times.....and I'd be thrilled to see either one. I say don't beat yourself up on it, have a coke, and a smile. :wink:

I flipped a coin for my decision, but it rolled into the heating register and now resides in my basement ducts. Sorry. #-o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm 
I like 1 better than 2. The background seems "darker" "blacker" which I like, the other has some colors going in in the darkness... I don't know how else to describe it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 pm 

Midnight Toker wrote:
hardly any ghosting/haze on shots w/ back/side lights in the shot (like when Steve walks back towards the pedalboard and turns around to the audience)

One of the significant adjustments I made in codec settings occurs during the video rendering when the side spotlights are in the shot. Analog tape is the noisiest when it comes to reds and purples, especially in a high-intensity situation like those spotlights.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:13 pm 

As a non-expert...I played them side by side on my 22" lcd monitor and I could not tell the difference.

I just started to get into the performance :lol: \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:18 pm 

Midnight Toker wrote:
I flipped a coin for my decision, but it rolled into the heating register and now resides in my basement ducts. Sorry. #-o

They both look good, I can't tell. The differences are sutle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 am 

Both looked very nice to me, especially considering the age of this recordings and the technology that was used back then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 am 

So... 50/50 so far? :lol: Any more opinions? I thought the "eagle-eyed" crowd would have chimed in by now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:40 pm 
God yeah! long_black_way_hair! Where the hell did he go to!? Didn't run a SRV forum as well?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:54 pm 

I also recall something about him having heart surgery, but he was still around after that. I think the last I heard, he was going somewhere to take care of a sick relative. I sent him one of the Zeppelin complete harddrives... I guess he didn't need to hang around after that. :lol:

Yes, he used to own and run www.srvserver.com. I just checked, and it is long gone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:50 pm 
Presence wrote:
I also recall something about him having heart surgery, but he was still around after that. I think the last I heard, he was going somewhere to take care of a sick relative. I sent him one of the Zeppelin complete harddrives... I guess he didn't need to hang around after that. :lol:

Yes, he used to own and run http://www.srvserver.com. I just checked, and it is long gone.

"Instan-ify My Collection" - I remember that thread! Caused all kinds of grovelling on an unprecedented scale :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm 
Presence wrote:
Popped this in the player today. :D I love watching this show! This was one of my first productions, for a long-gone chap known as long_black_wavy_hair (he fell into the "Where Is He Now" category.) For as much praise as this got, I see a few things that could use improvement. Time for a remastering.

who?

oh that guy :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:09 am 

Any chance of a re-seed, i have a low quality mpeg of this so the better quality version would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm 

i love this show! upgrade version is exciting!!